With Virtual Port Monitor, you can capture printer output that would normally go to a communications port such as LPT1. Useful for second stage processing such as creating PDF files, ripping, or distribution of printer output.
- Captures printer output from nearly any type of printer driver
- Automatic assignment of filenames with multiple naming options
- User selectable assignment of extension (eg: ps, prn)
- Run executable file upon completion (eg: exe, bat, com, cmd).
- Supports security for the application and the writing of files and printers
- Runs within a given security context and user profile for each port
- Supports Terminal Services
- Supports Cluster Servers
- Application wait timer for serialization of execution
- Delete original output file upon successful termination of application
- Printers that use virtual ports can be shared on the network
- Multi-Port data forwarding (local or network)
- Print to log file with automatic date or user specified file name
- Optionally store files in the user, computer, printer, or driver subdirectory
- Drag and Drop Printing to printers folder
- Environment variables for post-print application and command line substitution
- Works with Ghostscript, ImageMagick, and several other 3rd party solutions
- Supports all 32 and 64 bit Windows desktop operating systems (95, 98, NT3, NT4, and ME excluded)
- Faster than "Print to File"
- Windows XP, Vista, 7 ,8, 10, and Windows 2000/2003/2008/2008 R2/2012 Server and Workstation 32 and 64 bit.
How it works:
Virtual Port Monitor works as a Windows printer port monitor (hence the name). A port monitor is usually used to monitor the status of a printer, as well as transmit data to the printer. Virtual Port Monitor installs itself as a port monitor, but instead of transmitting to a printer, the printer data is sent to the folder you select as the output folder in the dialog. Once the file has been written the the output folder, an executable file can be run with the name of the file automatically added to the command line, which causes most commercial programs to perform the Open function. If this program is a batch file, the filename is accessed via the command line parameter variable %1.
64 bit support. Unicode support throughout. Updated help file. Added the ability to use system or user environment variables in the output path. Moved the post-print execution function to a multi-threaded service.
- 7/17/2013 - Initial Release.
- 11/14/2013 - Fixed an intermittent issue where the Output Directory validation would fail
- 4/28/2014 - Fixed an issue where environment variable substitution would fail if running without a security context. Also replaced MSXML with OpenXML as the soap transport used during configuration.
- 9/5/2014 - Fixed an issue where the spooler service would terminate after attempting to display a message to the users session.
- 9/11/2014 - Fixed an issue with port and printer forwarding when more than one port or printer was selected.
- 2/6/2015 - Fixed an issue where execution of the post-print application would fail when the wait timeout is set to a very low value.
- 2/27/2015 - Fixed an issue where the release version of the software was writing debug messages to a file.
- 7/19/2015 - Fixed a timing issue where execution of the post-print application would intermittently hang. Fixed an issue where creating a new port would create a "ghost" port. Fixed an issue where registry key security was not being adjusted during the install process.
- 8/1/2015 - Fixed an issue affecting users in locales having a different date format other than mm/dd/yyyy running the post-print application.
- 3/26/2016 - Fixed an issue where security information was not being saved when adding a new port.
- 3/30/2016 - Fixed an issue introduced in the previous release where the post-print application would intermittently fail to run when the wait option was set to "Do Not Wait".
Try before you buy!
Virtual Port Monitor is delivered as the full product. An activation code is required to eliminate the registration reminder that shows after each print, enabling you to evaluate the product before purchase.
Please note: A user must be logged in to the system while using the product in demo mode, otherwise the output file becomes the registration reminder.
Version 5 is not considered a minor upgrade, therefore version 4 registration codes will not work with version 5 software.